Marriage is the sacrament in which a couple is united in a lifetime commitment of mutual love and fidelity. Weddings usually take place in the parish of the bride or the groom.
The Marriage Preparation Program in the Diocese of San José asks that couples planning to marry begin making arrangements at least six (6) months before the planned date of their wedding. If either the bride or the groom is under the age of 19, the couple should allow additional time beyond the normal six months for preparation.
If you would like a priest from another parish or diocese outside of San José, you will need to provide a letter of suitability from his bishop stating that he is in good standing and may officiate your wedding.
After your interview is complete and it is verified that you are free to marry in the Catholic Church, you will need to:
- Schedule a date. Weddings are every Saturday at either 11 AM, 1 PM or 3 PM with two hours allotted for seating guests, ceremony and photos. For example, if your wedding is at 11 AM, your time slot is 10:30 AM to 12:30 PM.
- Pay non-refundable deposit of $500 to secure your date by either cash or check. The balance of $900 is due six months prior to your wedding. The fee includes use of the church, priest and (1) organist/cantor and ceremony coordinator. The total is $1,400. If your wedding is cancelled within six months or less of the ceremony date, a 50% fee will be charged to your final payment for the inconvenience to the parish.
- Bring baptismal certificate to Five Wounds Church office.
- Bring Marriage license from the County of Santa Clara to the Five Wounds Church office.
- Bring Marriage prep and family planning completion certificates to Five Wounds Church office. ALL required documentation and balance of fees are due 6-8 weeks prior to your ceremony.
- Select your own photographer; however, they must follow the etiquette that is appropriate for a religious service. Drones are not allowed on or over Five Wounds Church property at any time.
- Have your flower arrangements and other decorations approved by the parish office prior to your wedding.
Services are available in English, Spanish or Portuguese. Please let the office know your language preference. Every effort will be made to accommodate your request.